Friday, March 7, 2008

Tim Keller at Northwestern

I went to hear Tim Keller at Northwestern in Evanston last night. It must be said that my respect for him borders on admiration. It seems silly to put Keller in the same category with Chesterton, Augustine and Chrysostom (to which, I am sure, he would object) , however his influence on me may have been greater than theirs. I discovered his sermons about 6 years ago while I was doing an internship at The Chapel in Michigan. I listened to The Gospel According to Abraham and was impressed with the depth of Keller's psychological insight and exegesis of contemporary culture. I have listened to many of his sermons since then and must admit that I have been thoroughly converted to his approach to preaching: Jesus-centered (every passage of Scripture is about Jesus), gospel-driven (believe the gospel and you will change) and culturally perceptive. There are plenty of free sermons on the Redeemer church site to get a good idea of his approach. http://sermons.redeemer.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=11
So, I went to see Keller and got him to sign his new book The Reason for God. I just started reading it but I have a feeling it is going to be a very very good book -- maybe, as good as Mere Christianity. Anyway, I think very highly of Keller and it was great to hear him live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as good as mere christianity....wow that is some pretty lofty praise

Anonymous said...

Sergio -- your approval and admiration of something is a FLAG for good / quality things. I appreciate the tapes that you have left with me -- and so I would really appreciate a loan of the book after you will be done with it.

We are remembering your quality sermons and the depth/cultural tie -- oh, that was good! Dima and I are trying to do some fasting (mostly on beer and chocolate, but still).

Congratulations on the first Polly's steps!!
Alyona