Friday, March 2, 2007

Gillian's Birthday

Today is Gillian’s birthday. Happy Birthday, buddy!
Sometimes I think how naive we are expecting to find someone to love and be loved back. And if that is not ridiculous enough, we also think this loving/loving back exchange can last a pretty long while. We take it for granted that someone might like us enough to want to be around us most of the time. Some of us may even harbor the notion that we are entitled to being loved by another human being. How silly is it to think that you can be completely open with someone and not get rejected! How strange is the idea of being so close with another person that I am no longer I but have become part of we! And yet, I love someone and she loves me back. I may not be as excited about birthday parties (in fact, today I have realized that Gillian thinks I am utterly incapable of throwing a surprise birthday party), but I am really excited about Gillian. The day of your birth is worth celebrating. Oh, yeah, the kids are pretty thrilled about your existence, too.

No comments: