Saturday, March 3, 2007

Strong and Weak

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:14-16)

This must be one of the most profound and beautiful passages in Scripture. I have come back to these verses over and over again and been encouraged and strengthened by their meaning. God is powerful enough to give us mercy and grace in the very moment we need it the most. He is strong enough to help us not give up but persevere and overcome doubt and struggle with sin. However, God is not only strong but He has become weak. Jesus, the God-Man, our high priest, has been tempted in all things and struggled with things we struggle with. In His assumed weakness He understands us. He identifies with us in the deepest possible way since He became one of us. We can never say to God, “You just don’t understand what I am going through” or “You can’t imagine how hard it is”. Jesus understands what I am going through and He knows how hard it is because He became weak like me. He gets me.
So, I draw near with confidence to the throne of the God who is both strong and weak. He is merciful and gracious. He welcomes me in my time of need.

No comments: